A custom made orthotic is a prescription device designed to assist in the correction of biomechanical abnormalities that affect the feet, ankles, knees and back. Custom orthotic inserts are made by taking a three-dimensional (3-D) cast impression of the patient’s foot and constructed from raw materials to each patient’s individual specifications.
Many foot problems can be attributed to collapsed or fallen arches or other biomechanical faults such as pronation (rolling in and collapsing of the arches when walking) and supination (rolling outward of the ankles and raising of the arch). These problems can be genetic in origin and most patients do not realize there is a problem until various symptoms begin to appear. These symptoms will generally manifest as pain.
During your initial appointment, Dr. Horowitz will perform a biomechanical examination, gait scan analysis, 3D foot scan, and posture evaluation to determine the cause of the problem. Often, pain in areas such as the knees, hips, or back is caused by improper foot biomechanics. If a biomechanical abnormality is identified, this problem can generally be alleviated through prescription functional orthotics.
Custom molded orthotics offer treatment and relief for a variety of foot and ankle problems including ankle instability, tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, bunion deformity, calluses, and neuromas.
Questions about how Custom Orthotic Inserts can support your Aches & Pains?
WHY VANCOUVER ORTHOTICS?
At Vancouver Orthotics, we provide a therapeutic approach to treating foot, ankle, knee, hip, or back pain by starting at the source. Our goal is to provide our patients with an enhanced biomechanical support system that will ultimately lead to better posture and elimination of pain. By stabilizing and balancing your feet, custom made orthotics will help restore the proper alignment of the joints and bones in the foot and improve your body’s performance and efficiency, reduce pain, and contribute to your total body wellness. We achieve this goal through specific consultation, examination and if necessary, the fitting, production and dispensing of custom made orthotic inserts.
WHAT TO EXPECT ON YOUR FIRST VISIT WITH US
- Your initial appointment will last approximately 30 minutes.
- Please bring with you a few pair of your usual footwear choices, as well as a prescription for custom orthotic footwear if required for reimbursement from your extended health care provider.
- Provincial Insurance does not cover the cost of custom orthotics. It’s your responsibility to cover the cost and contact your extended health care provider regarding any extended coverage you may have.
- If you require custom orthotics, payment in full is required prior to manufacture. We accept cash, debit, VISA, MasterCard and America Express.
- Once we receive your custom orthotics, we will call you to book a dispensing appointment to fit your custom orthotics and re-assess your gait. The dispensing appointment is usually within two weeks of your initial assessment and only takes 10-15 minutes.
To book an appointment call our office, or book online.
Saturday and weekend appointments are available.
If you would like to receive information on symptoms we treat, subscribe to
"WE TREAT THAT!"
Have questions about Vancouver Orthotics? Ask Dr. Michael by calling 604-737-3668 or by filling out the form below.
Effectiveness varies from patient to patient.
Prior to your appointment please contact your extended health care provided to obtain details to better understand your specific coverage and what information will be required to submit your claim.
Please NOTE a Medical doctor or podiatry prescription maybe required for re-imbursement.
*HCRM&VO (Vancouver, BC) Ltd