Vancouver Orthotics Defined by Dr. Michael Horowitz
Orthotics / Orthopedics - an allied health care medical profession or field that is concerned with the design, development, fitting and manufacturing of orthoses, which are devices that support or correct musculoskeletal deformities and/or abnormalities of the human body - such as flat/fallen/pronated feet.
Foot pain is not normal and should not be ignored; problems can affect the functioning of other parts of the body, including the hips, knees, and back. These are foot-related problems that may be related to biomechanical issues. Chiropractors, podiatrists, physical therapists and sports medicine practitioners will often recommend custom foot orthoses as part of a treatment regimen.
They are prescribed to:
- Reduce the symptoms associated with many foot related pathologies.
- Provide support
- Accommodate foot deformity
- Provide better positioning
- Relieve pressure on a certain area of the foot
- Improve the overall biomechanical function of the foot and lower extremity